No Dog Left Behind

I don't know why I can't get that video to load, sorry about that- I'll work on it later when I get Internet at the new place. That's right folks! We FINALLY moved into the new digs in Midtown, last night was our first night there. It was back-breaking moving everything just Matt and I. It seemed like no matter how hard he tried we could never get the dang trailer close enough like he wanted, so a few stairs were inevitable. I had everything sorted really well, I paired my "stuff" down to a bare minimum. The boxes that I've now moved with three/four times (Alaska-Smyrna-Kirkwood-Midtown) were not all full this time. Last time I barely had enough boxes, this time I had leftovers because I've got rid of so much stuff! It was a good feeling this time- it seemed Matt had more 'stuff' than I did! We are having a Yard Sale at the old place this weekend with all the old stuff, whatever is left over is going to be donated.

Blue has now done four moves with me, he seems extra grateful each time that we move and he gets to come with me. Petey seemed 'concerned' as this was only his second move with me. They have both been given away a few times in each of their lives- I really believe that they remember that. When the boxes and the furniture gets taken away and they are left in an almost empty house, they seem to get nervous- I think this was the point when they were given away before.

It breaks my heart to think about how confusing that must of been for them. Being young and trusting of their people... Poor Blue, as "King" he probably was so excited to be in the car and go for a ride, he loves meeting new people, other dogs, and going to new buildings. He probably was wagging his tail and standing so nice right next to his person as they filled out the paperwork to turn him over the Anchorage Animal Control Center. Then they left him with a nice stranger who he easily went with because he is so good and the next thing he knew he was in a cage, and his person didn't come back. I bet he was so confused that night listening to all the other dogs bark in the other kennels and having to curl up on the hard concrete floor.

Petey had be casually left with new people to 'watch' him and then his person would be gone. New house, new person, Petey left again...never sure where he belonged, until now.

They were both watching us like hawks as we were moving the last of our stuff...they both jumped into Matt's truck too soon, but saw their chance and took it as I opened the door to put some stuff in the backseat. We could NOT get them out, but we weren't ready for them to get in- we still had stuff to load up. Matt tried after I gave up. My truck was parked down the street so I said I would go get mine and put them in it so we could continue loading his truck. As I got to my car they were both in the truck watching me- I opened the door and called them- Blue came RUNNING with all his might down the street- I've never seen him run like that! His muscles were bulging and he was putting all his might into that sprint! Then Petey came running the same way- with every intent of NOT BEING LEFT BEHIND!

Last night as we rested, exhausted on the couch late in the night, they both were snuggling with us- tails wagging and we could see the appreciation and gratefulness in their eyes. Matt laughed as he petted Petey's head and he said, 'Boy they ran like there was NO WAY they were being left behind! I've never seen them run like that!" They both gazed at us as if to say- 'I love you and am glad I have a home!'

I tell them all the time, "This is forever boys! I'm your mom forever 'cause we're a FAMILY!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think dogs remember. I know mine does I just wish she would remember not to run. She always comes back but sometimes not to our call, Its when she wants too. At least we live in the country and she can run in the woods I still worry about her when she is running. She is such a sweet dog. Your dogs are beautiful.We love our dogs.

Popular Posts