Labor Day
# of Bikes Cleaned Today: 3
Feeling of riding a CLEAN bike- priceless
Today I spent my Labor Day washing, degreasing, fixing, adjusting and admiring my bikes, and Matt's. I had been slacking in the general maintenance department this month with Matt's return and with the rain Goosey needed a full once over. I also worked on the new German bike that Matt lovingly bought for me. Next time I do a big overhaul I will take pictures, the before and after was significant in the details. Then I did a full once over on his Trek 1000, which was dirtier than the German bike that looks as though it's been a garage or basement for 10 years. His Trek has been rode hard, and we guesstimate about 1400 miles and has never been cleaned. Never. Time for some maintenance before our big ride!
Yesterday we headed to the bike shop to pick up a few things (to do all the maintenance today) and it turned into an all day excursion going from shop to shop looking for a new back rim for his old mountain bike. He is ready for his own commuter instead of using his Trek for back and forth and just little trips. He has an old Raleigh M50 that he used to ride around campus before he met me. Last year someone stole the back wheel at the bike rack. So we are on the search for the cheapest back wheel and cassette available. After scouring ATL and not coming up with anything under $65 for just the wheel, we found it on Amazon. They have EVERYTHING on there these days and super low prices, and predictable shipping. Next weekend we'll work on the Raleigh and get him a commuter.
Last night we had been planning to attend the DRIVE INVASION at the local Starlite Drive In for the epic annual Labor Weekend festivities, but at $24 each to get in, and our splurge at the bike shop we changed plans. We decided literally at the last minute to go to our local down the street theater and see the new Ben Stiller movie Tropic Thunder. We rode our bikes and sneaked in some beer. The theater was surprising crowded and we made it just in time for the beginning of the movie. It was freaking HILARIOUS!!! I can't remember the last time I laughed like that in a movie, and the whole theater was cracking up too! Robert Downey Jr was UNBELIEVABLY good- and I don't normally like him. Anyways, it's a MUST SEE!
Friday night Matt met me downtown and we did do the Critical Mass ride. It ended up being fun. It was really a laid back crowd, not the normal rambuncious energy from pass CMs. But it was a good group of people, lots of commuters this time. It was cool riding as it was getting dark. Matt didn't have his lights on the Trek (also why we needed to do so much maintenance) so when the ride was heading back it went right by our house and we jumped off. I was planning on us riding to Lizzie's party (She is Clemson and her roommate is Alabama and there was a big game in Atlanta this weekend). But we drove. It kinda sucked, not the party, but that we had to drive to go somewhere less than 4 miles away! Drove me crazy! But the party ended up being fun and we were really glad we went.
Tomorrow is our big ride- The Share The Road Century. We are planning to do the Metric at 62 miles, unless we feel fabulous then we might go the other 38- we'll see. I'm pretty excited I've now rode more miles this summer than I drove in my car. 860 vs. 740 - and that included my Memorial Day and 4th of July trips to Alabama. This week I went to lunch with my boss and we drove, then Matt and I drove yesterday AND Friday night. I've been in a vehicle more this week than I'd like. But I'm feeling positive that it is such a rarity now to be a car at all.
Comments