Trains, Planes and Automobiles

I have been busy! Busy, busy and more busy! last week my parents were in town Sat-Tues, so I took Mon/Tues off from work to hang out with them. I showed them Atlanta and realized that a few days isn't nearly enough time to really see the city. I guess Atlanta is one of those places that grows on you over time. At first impression (or in a short visit) it seems like any other metro-city, but over time you get to know the nuances that make it a special place to live. Like any place it has it's cons too which are unfortunately all too apparent in a three day visit.

Anyhow, I went back to work Wed-Friday and it was grueling and crazy busy as usual.

Saturday morning I got up early and took the Amtrak to Birmingham to meet up with my parents over there. My dad Chris had his high school reunion there. I was just excited to go over to see them and spend a couple more days with them before they went back to Alaska. That is why I agreed to go to his reunion party on Saturday night with them. Matt decided to sit this one out and stay home and catch up on his homework. He is a smart guy! I went, it was an open bar, there was a band and lots of food.

It was good to see the parents and hang out. I can now speak from experience it is really weird to go to your dads high school reunion. Everyone seems strange and they probably aren't that weird in real life I have to believe. But since they hadn't got together since they were rebel rejects that attended an "alternative school" in Birmingham, Alabama in the mid 1970's they were ummm.... a little strange, and there was an open bar. Luckily Chris was by far the most normal one there and I can't help to wonder if he would have regressed more if I wasn't there. I think it was a bit awkward for us both to be honest. People would make that amazed and big eyed face when I would introduce myself as his daughter. You know that face like "Really?! Oh the stories I could tell you that would be SO inappropriate!" You know- that face!

We stayed up late that night talking about whatever until 3am in the backyard. I drove back with them to Atlanta in the morning and they caught an afternoon flight home to Anchorage. That made the trip totally worth it!

The train was pretty cool so I have to write a bit about it. Being in my not-driving-alone still phase to save the oil reserves for when we really need them- I was looking for options to get from Atlanta to Birmingham.

  1. The Bus: Which reminds me I never posted much about my greyhound bus ride to meet Matt...anyhow lets just say I wasn't really looking forward to the bus again, especially since it made a 2.5 hour drive on the interstate into a 4.5 hour ride through small towns in Alabama. It was cheap though at only $34 one way, but the schedule wasn't that great, I'd arrive in B'ham after 1pm.
  2. Shuttle Van: I see these around town all the time, apparently there are only a few of them though. They were from the Airport to Airport and $65 one way, with only 2 departures per day - one mid morning and one late on Saturdays.
  3. By Air: Not really an option at a $300 ticket not to mention the craziness of going to Atlanta Hartsfield for a 20 minute flight.
  4. By train: Amtrack- 4 hour ride, $30 one way. On the website it advertised luxurious dining and I would arrive at 11:45 in Birmingham.

I decided on the train, I've never been on a train other than the Alaska Railroad in the summer when it is filled with tourists headed to Denali Park. So I was excited to see how it all worked even though it was a long ride. Lets talk pros and cons:

Pros

  • $30- CHEAP!
  • Big roomy seats- like being in 1st class on an airplane, maybe even a little bigger
  • Seats reclined and had TONS of leg room- waaay more than on 1st class on an airplane
  • no security, just show up and get on
  • the aisles were super wide and easy to walk around
  • was really empty, not many people taking the train these days, I really don't know why?
  • each seat has thier own electrical outlets for laptops, charging phones, etc- sweet!
  • you can bring your own food and beverages
  • it was super quiet and roomy, very easy to sleep
  • the men that worked the train were SUPER DUPER nice! They seemed to just love being on the train and were friendly.

Cons

  • over zealous marketing- snack bar was SUPER lame food, not even close to ok, let alone luxurious- next time will bring own food as I had a fantasy of white linens and table service with a grand saturday morning breakfast. Instead I got a microwaved egg/cheese/ham biscuit that was hardly edible, so I got a small bag of pretzels too, and a good thing I did.
  • the windows weren't that big, I thought they would be more like the bus
  • the views weren't that great either as we passed through the backsides of little towns
  • it was slow because of the little towns

All in all I would take the train again, I think. It was great for the price hands down. I think I'd like to do Atlanta to New Orleans which is like 7 hours for $60 one way- but don't know if I could do Atlanta to NYC which is only $110 one way but 17 hours! I didn't see the sleeper cars, but I guess that might make it better. The train is the way to go if you have the time.

Comments

Popular Posts