Happy Halloween

Here we are at a countdown of less than 6 weeks now! We are both so excited! We made a list awhile back of everything we want to do in Atlanta before we leave so that we get the FULL ATL experience you know, no regrets and stuff. We really do love Atlanta and will miss it, but feel like we have really enjoyed all that it has to offer too. This weekend was no exception!

I took Friday off from work, using up 1 of my 3 vacation days left. Thursday night I did not want to cook and was craving Thai food. It was only 5:30 but Matt was eating in front of the fridge which is a sure sign he is on the verge of starving. We decided on a nice little corner Thai place called Surin in the Highlands. It was pleasant and had some funky electronic music while we watched the runners and walkers pass by the big sidewalk windows where we sat. I ordered tofu for the first time in my stir fry as I am trying to eat as little 'industrial' meat as possible. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I guess tofu will take a little more experimenting.

Friday I slept in and cleaned the house by morning light. It was really nice. I didn't have anything that I had to do. I took the dogs in the car and we went to WalMart and tried to come up with a Halloween costume to no avail. The Halloween section was CLEARED out! We were home by 3 and just hung out til Matt got home.

Matt and I were lounging around, ok lying around when our neighbor across the street knocked on the door. She was in a Halloween shirt and had a bat shaped hat on. She was super nice and was telling all the neighbors that she was having a Halloween party and was giving out her number in case they bothered anyone. Turned out she, and all the house mates go to Georgia Tech. We thought it would be fun so we decided to go over later on.

I made us dinner while the trick or treaters stopped by. They were all really cute and dressed up. We had a rush for 2 hours and then it was over. Turned out I got lucky and had just the right amount of candy to hand out with not many leftovers.

We dressed up for the party cross the street, we were very creative. I wore a safety vest, Matt's hard hat (I left mine at the office), and my workboots with jeans and little tee shirt. I was a "construction worker". Matt wore his work overalls and carried a sledgehammer. He was a "guy with a sledgehammer". I didn't really get it either, but oh well it was Halloween. We went over to the party, me with a glass of red wine in hand and Matt with a beer in his front pocket. We didn't really know anyone at the party, so we just kinda walked in and started talking to people. The first guys thought it was pretty ironic that I was drinking red wine as a "construction worker" and they asked Matt if he just got home from work and grabbed a beer. Turned out they were mostly grad students in transportation and urban planning so they got a kick out of our 'costumes'.

At 11 we headed out to go down the street to the highlight of our Halloween- our first ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. It was super fun. We stood in line as tickets went on sale at 11:15, luckily it was warm enough to not need a jacket and was entertaining with all the costumes. We were marked as 'virgins' with bright red lipstick V's on our foreheads a red lipstick kisses on our cheeks from the 'security' guy wearing the bright red lipstick. Matt is so easy going, I love him. We were in the middle of Geekville, as they were really into the movie. I had never seen it so I didn't get it at first. Once in the theater there was more fiasco to go through. There were hosts that ran a raffle ticket giveaway of junk like lunchboxes and movie posters and "my little pony" ponies. Then they did a costume contest that took forever, a little guy dressed as Mighty Mouse won, it was really cute. Then some fishnet / lingerie clad ladies did a little lip syncing number without smiling. Finally, the movie started at like 1:30am! Yikes!
It was overwhelming when the movie started. People immediately started yelling at the screen! I did not know what was going on! I thought they yelled the lines of the movie, but apparently the audience yells smart ass remarks to the movie. Like every time the main character would introduce himself, they'd yell "ASSHOLE" and he's introduce his girlfriend (Susan Serandin) and they'd yell "SLUT!" After awhile I got used to it and it was funny. But the audience has a remark about EVERYTHING in the movie. In addition to the movie, there was a live cast. A live cast that actually ACTED OUT every SCENE as it was on the screen. That was a different way to watch a movie. Luckily they were pretty good too. There was so much going on every second, it totally kept us awake in the wee hours and made it a very unique experience. We got home at 4, but were really glad we went, it was pretty cool. Oh yeah, and what a weird movie!

Saturday night we were going to meet up with a girl I work with in the Highlands, but she didn't make it. We ended up out on our own. First we started at the famous Eddie's Attic in Decatur for dinner. Dar Williams was playing a sold out show, so we ate in the 'talking' bar area. They had the live music piped in and the tv showed the live show on the other side of the wall. Turned out Shaun Mullins was playing with her. Then he was hanging out between songs in the bar area where we were eating. That was pretty cool that we got to see him perform as a 'surprise' while we ate dinner. Another musician to check off the list. When we left we were like, "well, now we can leave Atlanta, we saw Shaun Mullins"

In the highlands we went to Limerics and saw some live Irish music. They are right, the more you drink the better they sound! But I didn't want to drink THAT much so we went down a few doors to Blind Willies and paid the outrageous cover charge. When I asked the door guy how much and he told me $10 each, I said "oh yeah, that's why I've never been here!" Turned out it was worth it. It was a really awesome blues band, The Shadows and a fabulous real blues singer named Sandra Lee. We ended up having a really great time!

Gotta love Atlanta!

Comments

Popular Posts