Mr. A to Z







Last night we stayed out til 1 am!!! We had so much fun- I got us tickets to the SOLD OUT Jason Mraz show. Good times. Doors opened at about 7:30 we arrived a little early in Little 5 Points and the line was down the street...to get in. I was relieved that there were so many adults. I was worried that it would be mostly teeny boppers. He writes a lot of songs about teenage awkward love and stuff, his second CD was titled The Geek In Pink. I first found Mr. Mraz on Austin City Limits when he still had acne, I really liked him because he was SO animated and fun. So I went out on the typical Anchorage search to find the CD and was disappointed. A week later my favorite music hut (Metro Music) got a LIVE CD in. I couldn't get enough, it was such a great sound and it came with a DVD of the show too. Completely entertaining! That was a few years ago. I've been waiting to see him live in Atlanta, he hadn't done a show here since I've been here. He didn't disappoint, his live performance was ENTERtainING! He even had a HOST- Justin Kredible- a silly, but really good young magician. One of his opening acts- Bushwalla- did a FUNK song, not normally my cup of tea, but the catch line was "It's hard to be a Gangster with a Basket on my Bike!" I LOVED IT!!!

The venue was mostly standing room, with the teenagers up front. After the first couple acts we moved down front with the weird kids. It was a SOLD OUT show, I generally expect that to bring a lot of energy and excitement. This crowd was like too cool or something?? Not a whole lot of action, or excitement. A lot of stiff bodies that seemed to be more interested in being there with whomever they were with or on their stupid phones. I got the impression that Jason Mraz is cool to like, but no one seemed to LOVE him like I thought they would. Ben Kweller's audience seemed to REALLY love him. Unlike this show.... he has a couple songs that I totally love, but several more that I don't care for a whole lot. Regardless he is very talented- he has a good voice and plays the guitar pretty dang well.

He had a really good message of THINK about the choices you make in your life, do everything you can to take care of our planet AND yourself. He talked a lot about CHOOSING to have fun and see the bright side of life and how YOU are the only one that can make your life fun and beautiful. I like to hear people say things like that on stage in front of a bunch of kids. His final words were PRACTICE GRATITUDE with yourself and everyone else you meet. Apparently upon further reading today I found he is really into New Age philosophies and yoga. I think I'm going to start practicing more- he looked really fit and his skin glowed. Like I said he used to be scrawny and pimply- either it's the yoga or the fame???

He played mostly new music which was a little odd for the audience. I think everyone was expecting his popular past songs. But we didn't get but a few of them. It didn't matter though as you can see, Matt and I had a good time!!

I"m going to go download the "It's hard to be a Gangster with a Basket on My Bike" song!

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are having fun -gramma

Popular Posts