New Sounds
This weather is SO perfect right now! It's lows around 55-60* and highs in the high 70's, it's getting lighter even earlier now. I LOVE it!! Now that I have the whole Relay for Life behind me (My team for Relay for Life ended up with over $12,000 in donations!!) and can get on with my going Carfree as much as possible AND start getting ready for our big hiking trip. This weekend was perfect, as Petey so eloquently wrote about from his perspective ( I couldn't resist after snapping that first picture!). Matt only has a few weeks left here in Atlanta before he heads up north to Pennsylvania. But he did just get confirmation that he is going to be in the department that he wanted, which is where he hopes to get an offer from. More on that as it develops.
Meanwhile we are planning to hike the Georgia Section of the AT on May 1. If this weather holds out it should be PERFECT hiking weather too! We don't have a tent so we're going to just be making do. We also haven't figured out the vehicle logistics so we will most likely just do an out and back which means we won't get the whole 80 miles in like we originally planned. But regardless it will be great to just be out there for a week just the four of us! Then Matt heads off after that, but we still need to find him a place to stay for the summer.
I am hoping to get as much biking miles in as I can this summer, along with dog miles. Also I am going to try to go completely carfree for at least 30 whole consecutive days. I believe this will be possible in June. I've been missing how I was tracking my walking mileage here on this blog. I've been playing around with how to track my commutes...since we're walking more of a lifestyle than direct "we are walking" miles. Also more to come as this develops, so you might see several tracking numbers in posts to come.
By the way, I was quoted in the Rockdale Citizen, the local country newspaper about my commuting. It was kinda cool, everyone at work saw it. Here in Atlanta where traffic is horrific and gas prices are RIDICULOUS more people are riding the bus than ever. My commute this morning was SO great!! The sky was lighter than it's been all year, almost don't need my blinking rear bike light! It was a fabulous 55* so I just wore a light sweatshirt, and the best part....the bus driver FINALLY got a bike rack for the front of the bus! This made my whole week! It is so much easier to lift my bike on the rack than to stuff it in the luggage compartment. And it's waaaay easier for the driver too. Now I can only keep my fingers crossed that the afternoon bus will have one too!
Today is my little brothers birthday! He is 25 years old, born in '83. Wow, it makes me feel old now that my little bro is cresting his late twenties. I really hope for the best for him in his future when he graduates. I hope he finds what he is looking for and lives his dreams.
I've been on the lookout for new music since I sold my TV and have found my self again. I can not get enough of this song...On the Radio (thanks Jill for putting it on your first video blog)...I heard it first on Jill's blog, then the very next night Matt and I went to a Ben Kweller concert and this song was playing before anyone took the stage. IT was fate. Then my itunes says, since I liked Regina Specktor, they recommmend Feist- I have been loving this sound too it's perfect for my mentality for spring/summer in the city.
Another side note- I've acclimated to the southern weather, not as much as those that are lifers in the south, but quite a bit for an Alaskan. It was 70* yesterday and I was cold. I'm so embarrassed for Alaskans to be reading this- but I had to put on long pants and a light sweatshirt, and socks. It's funny, in Alaska cold was shivering cold- warm was not shivering/freezing and no goosebumps, but you could still have a runny nose....cold in the south is simply Not Warm. Not being completely warm/hot warrants long sleeves, pants and socks. A chill equals gloves and perhaps a hat. Is my body changing or is it my mind set of what is acceptable as warm/cold?? Either way it cracks me up!
Meanwhile we are planning to hike the Georgia Section of the AT on May 1. If this weather holds out it should be PERFECT hiking weather too! We don't have a tent so we're going to just be making do. We also haven't figured out the vehicle logistics so we will most likely just do an out and back which means we won't get the whole 80 miles in like we originally planned. But regardless it will be great to just be out there for a week just the four of us! Then Matt heads off after that, but we still need to find him a place to stay for the summer.
I am hoping to get as much biking miles in as I can this summer, along with dog miles. Also I am going to try to go completely carfree for at least 30 whole consecutive days. I believe this will be possible in June. I've been missing how I was tracking my walking mileage here on this blog. I've been playing around with how to track my commutes...since we're walking more of a lifestyle than direct "we are walking" miles. Also more to come as this develops, so you might see several tracking numbers in posts to come.
By the way, I was quoted in the Rockdale Citizen, the local country newspaper about my commuting. It was kinda cool, everyone at work saw it. Here in Atlanta where traffic is horrific and gas prices are RIDICULOUS more people are riding the bus than ever. My commute this morning was SO great!! The sky was lighter than it's been all year, almost don't need my blinking rear bike light! It was a fabulous 55* so I just wore a light sweatshirt, and the best part....the bus driver FINALLY got a bike rack for the front of the bus! This made my whole week! It is so much easier to lift my bike on the rack than to stuff it in the luggage compartment. And it's waaaay easier for the driver too. Now I can only keep my fingers crossed that the afternoon bus will have one too!
Today is my little brothers birthday! He is 25 years old, born in '83. Wow, it makes me feel old now that my little bro is cresting his late twenties. I really hope for the best for him in his future when he graduates. I hope he finds what he is looking for and lives his dreams.
I've been on the lookout for new music since I sold my TV and have found my self again. I can not get enough of this song...On the Radio (thanks Jill for putting it on your first video blog)...I heard it first on Jill's blog, then the very next night Matt and I went to a Ben Kweller concert and this song was playing before anyone took the stage. IT was fate. Then my itunes says, since I liked Regina Specktor, they recommmend Feist- I have been loving this sound too it's perfect for my mentality for spring/summer in the city.
Another side note- I've acclimated to the southern weather, not as much as those that are lifers in the south, but quite a bit for an Alaskan. It was 70* yesterday and I was cold. I'm so embarrassed for Alaskans to be reading this- but I had to put on long pants and a light sweatshirt, and socks. It's funny, in Alaska cold was shivering cold- warm was not shivering/freezing and no goosebumps, but you could still have a runny nose....cold in the south is simply Not Warm. Not being completely warm/hot warrants long sleeves, pants and socks. A chill equals gloves and perhaps a hat. Is my body changing or is it my mind set of what is acceptable as warm/cold?? Either way it cracks me up!
Comments