Overheard in the Lunchroom

People are funny about food. I never noticed in Alaska many people being 'picky' except a good friend from Oakland, but she was from California so we always let it slide. A couple weeks ago I was trying to pass out some goodies that I made, but had few takers, everyone was 'being good' before the holiday season officially began. I think it was because they were homemade goodies. I've seen these same people devour plates of unknown pastries and cookies from the local lunch delivery places. People couldn't believe I made them myself, 'you cook?!' they would ask with a shocked look on their face. One co-worker said, 'oh you should talk to Jill, she cooks too!' and I realized that 'cooking' is a hobby to most people. I thought it was something everyone did, maybe not well, but everyone has to eat and feed their families right? When did this become a hobby?

A few ladies were sitting in the lunchroom while I read the newspaper and warmed up my microwavable store bought lunch of the day. I'm on an eat-everything-left-in-the-fridge/freezer diet right now before we move next week. Anyways, I overheard them talking about cooking. Specifically, why would one cook? One of the ladies said she tried a recipe for Chicken Parmesan out on her husband that she got from another coworker, she was bored and thought she'd cook on Sunday. Apparently he loved it! He talked about it all the next day, she complained. She thought he was crazy, it was just olive oil, chicken, cheese and bread crumbs- what's so great about that she asked her nodding friends.

One of the nodding ladies replied, 'you know what I would love to learn to cook? You know at Olive Garden that shrimp scampi? Oooh, I love it! If I had the recipe to make that exactly like Olive Garden I'd make it all the time! It is sooo good, it's like lemony.'

What has happened to people? No wonder we are all fat. We have no idea what we're eating or feeding our families. Worse yet, people seem to really like it that way.

In the past I have bought myself frozen 'simply steamed' veggie mixes to keep in the freezer at work as my just-in-case lunches. They aren't bad, although I find some of the 'sauces' somewhat unidentifiable in taste, but I try to do fresh whenever I can, so I feel like I really give in with these. But they are easy in a crunch, they are veggies and not the vending machine. They never fill me up though, but that isn't my point. My point is, every time I warm these packages up and put them in a bowl, people comment "oooh, that looks so good!" stuff like that. I always think - this? not really.

But yet, they think that man is crazy because he thought that Olive oil, chicken, cheese and bread crumbs was soooo good when his wife made it.

I must be missing something here.

Comments

TSL said…
Enjoyed this post. Hope you are fairing well in Atlanta.
Anonymous said…
I thought everyone cooked..Our dinner tonight was moose hamburger on fresh baked buns and summer garden potatoes...I know you are a great cook Amie and I know you are ready for the road. stay safe...enjoy your blog.

I love you ...grammmma

Popular Posts