Thanksgiving Lessons Learned 2008
I am still so proud of my meal that I made for Thanksgiving this year and just can't stop thinking about it. Apparently other cooking bloggers are out there thinking the same thing. Ree's recipes and inspiration was a big help this year and I wanted to remind myself what went right and wrong this year so next year is even better. Maybe next year we'll have company too so my giant meal isn't so ridiculous for just the two of us.
2. Make the carrots and onions the day before. I think they are better the next day after the flavors marry up. Need to work on that one too, they never look like the picture. I think if I make them ahead and then reheat in the oven they will get that baked look.
Yes, that sounds grand.
1. I bought a brined turkey from Trader Joe's. It was brined in salt water. Then I re-brined it even better in Whole Foods' brine. The bird turned out fantastic, but the gravy was WAY salty! Otherwise it was perfect consistency. Next year, go with a bare bird and make my own brine, try with PW's recipe.
2. Make the carrots and onions the day before. I think they are better the next day after the flavors marry up. Need to work on that one too, they never look like the picture. I think if I make them ahead and then reheat in the oven they will get that baked look.3. Stuffing was PERFECT, don't change a thing!
4. Pumpkin cake was good, I messed up the frosting, but all in all it wasn't festive enough. That one is good for any day cake. Need to come up with something more festive..... will have to work on that.
5. Also the green bean dairy free casserole turned out better the next day. Solution make 2 days before, then reheat with fresh crackers and butter. Not sure how to keep Matt out of this for 2 whole days. Will have to come up with a security plan. He can't sleep through the night usually without needing food. So he rummages the fridge bleary eyed in the middle of the night which is hard to call anything "SAFE" during those times.
6. I really missed the mashed potatoes. Not sure if I want to give in.... no plan of attack here yet.
7. Give in and conquer homemade rolls. This year I did the store bought Hawaiian rolls, yum. But would be so much better if homemade. Goal for 2009- conquer this one.
8. Night before 4 hours of prep time was WORTH it! Matt helped chop carrots and stuff. All that prep work was a life saver and made Thursday morning cooking FUN! Will always prep, could of started a few days out too.
9. Need to start collecting better serving dishes and utensils, mine are ummm lacking! Also I need more glass mixing bowls. I washed my ONE bowl 9 times to get this meal prepared!
10. Next year....I want to go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on Thursday morning. My plan? Dinner on Wednesday! Yummy (EASY) leftovers after the Parade outing on Thursday! Which means I can start prep work on Sunday before. 

Yes, that sounds grand.
Comments